UPDATED: APRIL 2018
If you require an DFAT Apostille or Authentication within 24 hours, you will need to contact this office to arrange.
Only a Notary Public can arrange an Apostille / Authentication Stamp this quickly. The office phone number is 03 8648 6541 or text 0419 383 397 (7 Days).
After your documents have been notarised, sometimes they need to be “legalised” by the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT). To be “legalised”, DFAT applies a particular stamp depending on the country where your notarised documents are to be produced.
For some countries you may need to get from DFAT an Apostille stamp, for other countries the DFAT Authentication stamp. Once you tell John the country where your notarised documents are to be produced, he can advise you as to which particular DFAT stamp you need. To check to see if your country is a signatory to the Apostille Convention, please visit this link here.
Please Note: You must have the documents notarised by a Notary Public before you can secure an Apostille (or Authentication Stamp) from DFAT.
DFAT Apostille Services
If your notarised documents do need to be legalised, this office can arrange the DFAT stamping for you if you choose not to go to DFAT yourself, or not to lodge the notarised document by post. The fee for this 24 hour service is $220 for one document and $11 for every other document. The government fee for an Apostille stamp is $81 and the Authentication stamp fee is $81.
For those countries where an Authentication stamp is required (rather than an Apostille Stamp), there is usually a need to have the notarised document stamped by the relevant Embassy or Consulate after it has been stamped by DFAT.
In order to secure an Apostille or an Authentication Stamp, an appointment is now required at the DFAT’s Passport office.
Important to Note:
- You can book a DFAT appointment by calling 1300 935 260 if you intend on securing the Apostille yourself (Appointment is usually 5 business days from the phone call date)
- Anyone can take the notarised document/s to DFAT.
- Currently the government fee is $81 for an Apostille or an Authentication.
- You will still need to see a Notary like myself to have your documents notarised before being granted an Apostille.
- You need to complete the Document Legalisation Request Form which can be found at:
- You can lodge the documentation via the mail: Send to: AUSTRALIAN PASSPORTS OFFICE AUTHENTICATION SECTION, GPO BOX 2239, MELBOURNE, VICTORIA 3001
- Or you can pay this Office to arrange for DFAT stamping – no more than a 24 hour turnaround. Our administration fee is $220 for one document and $11 for every other document.
Example Case Study
Mr So had a university degree and needed a copy of it to be notarised by a Notary Public in Melbourne so that the notarised copy could be used in The People’s Republic of China (PRC). He found John Pearce’s services via an online Google search and consulted John in his Melbourne Office for this notarisation. The notarisation fee was $132.
He did not have time to take the documents himself to DFAT and the Melbourne PRC Consulate General, so he asked John’s office to do this. For the notarisation and the extra services, the fees were :
Notarial and Administration services
$220 (Arranging DFAT Authentication stamp)
$220 (Arranging Consulate stamp)
$81 (DFAT Authentication stamp)
*$60 (Consulate stamp)
* This is based on document type.
You can book an appointment for John’s Notarial Services below. You will arrive at a Booking System where you can choose an appropriate appointment time for the Melbourne City Office or the Eastern Suburbs Home Office. If you need John Pearce’s DFAT service, please advise him at the appointment.