Getting Married in Europe

I have had many past clients that have wanted to get married in European countries such as Switzerland, England and France.  Although its best that a local Melbourne Notary Public such as myself should not comment on the process, it is quite common that a number of different documents are needed to be notarised for such an endeavour.

If you are deciding on a wedding in Europe, it is suggested you first seek guidance from a local registrar office in the country in which you are hoping to marry. The most common documents that are usually needed for a country such as Switzerland include:

  • A notarised affidavit confirming your current address and marital status (single, divorced or widowed).
  • A copy of your birth certificate.
  • If you have been previously married, you will also need to provide a certified copy of the final divorce decree, or death certificate of your former spouse.
  • A completed marriage request form

You should also check whether the documents you will be producing in the overseas country need to be authenticated or stamped with an Apostille from the Department of Foreign Affairs & Trade.Once you have completed and returned the documents and marriage request form to the relevant Registry Office, approval may be subject to an interview between you, your intended spouse and the registrar.  It’s also possible you’ll need to wait an extended period (while your intention to marry is advertised publicly and others are allowed an opportunity to lodge an objection).

You will be notified in writing if your application to marry has been approved, often which, in this approval letter, they’ll advise that a restricted time period for getting married is offered.

A notary public such as myself, is able to assist in preparing the relevant documents, however, we are not able to provide any advice in relation to the process itself. This information must be sought from the wedding host country. If you would like to book an appointment with following the link below: