Certification of Identity for Canada

Thousands of Canadians move to Australia each and every year.  So too, many move back home.  This usually means that an increasing number of people need the services of a Notary Public to help them buy and sell real estate back in Canada.

Canada is a unique country for very many reasons, but legally speaking, its common law system is a mixture, just as is its language is influenced by both English and French. This usually means that requirements differ depending on which part of the country the real estate lies. The requirements will usually be guided and determined by the local Canadian Solicitor or Conveyancer who will, undoubtedly, provide the documentation that you will need to sign for the sale or purchase.

In this way, one must still be able to prove that the identity of the person signing the documents matches the identity of the person legally entitled to transact the sale or purchase. This is one of the continual challenges of the buying and selling process which you face when you are away from Canada.

I assist many individuals, couples and corporations in proving and certifying their identity in order to proceed with such sales or purchases.  Notaries are usually recognised back in Canada as being able to perform such a role.

It is important that you bring to your appointment:

  • 100 points of ID (Passport, Driver’s licence, Utility Bills, Medicare, health insurance documents etc).
  • The instructions from your Canadian Solicitor or Conveyancer.
  • All the documents that are to be signed in front of the Notary including contracts, Declarations and Affidavits.

Fees are determined by the time it takes to notarise such documents, unlike what many Notaries do, namely, charging by the number of documents needing to be signed. Naturally, with most real estate transactions there are quite a number of documents.

Please do not hesitate to get in touch with this Office if you need further assistance or advice in relation to what needs to be done.  But please understand that your first point of contact for the requirements of this process is your Canadian Solicitor or Conveyancer  – they are the ones who are well-versed in the local regulations and real estate laws.